The growth and development that makes Reynoldsburg began soon after the American Revolution, when the Continental Congress awarded former military men land in the Refugee Tract. In 1802 James and Martha Crawford were the pioneer settlers here. In 1803 Thomas Palmer of Massachusetts became first to live on the site of Reynoldsburg. Descendants of many early settlers have chosen to stay in the area.
One hundred fifteen families were living in Truro Township when the village of Reynoldsburg, 55 lots, was platted in 1831 on John D. French’s land. He may have been persuaded to do this by the coming through of the National Road from the East Coast, or by his boarder James C. Reynolds, whose visionary and energetic leadership made him sutler, postmaster, brigadier general in the militia, representative in Ohio’s General Assembly, promoter and builder. Reynolds had the daring and enterprise to seize opportunities and create progress; people named the town for him.
In March 1839, the village of Reynoldsburg was incorporated. From about that time through the Civil War, Reynoldsburg was active in the Underground Railroad, transporting and briefly sheltering many fugitive slaves on their way to other “free states” and Canada.
Alexander W. Livingston, a plant and seed merchant born in 1821, was an internationally acclaimed horticulturist known for his development of the tomato for commercial use. His family resided in Reynoldsburg. 1852, Livingston purchased seventy acres of land east of Graham Road on both sides of Palmer Road. It was on this land that A.W. Livingston Buckeye Seed Gardens were located.
Livingston spent years on his farm as he experimented and studied ways to develop improved vegetables for his trade as a plant and seed merchant. When Alexander W. Livingston began his attempt to develop the tomato as a commercial crop, his aim was to grow tomatoes with a smooth contour, better flavor and the ability to be processed commercially without losing significant quality.
In 1870, Alexander introduced the Paragon tomato and as they say, the rest is history. The popularity of the tomato has grown to the point that it is grown in every state in the union.
In 1898, Alexander Livingston died, but not before contributing to Reynoldsburg’s history and the history of agriculture in the United States.
In 1965, the Franklin County Historical Society recognized Reynoldsburg as “The Home of the Tomato” and to honor this great man our City holds an annual festival in recognition of his vast accomplishments in agriculture. It is called the Tomato Festival and is held in September.
Reynoldsburg today is a clean, attractive small city (32,000 population, 11.05 square miles) situated in Truro Township in central Ohio. It is located on the eastern boundary of Franklin County, at the eastern edge of Truro Township. It is part of the seven-county Columbus Metropolitan Area (population 1.37 million). The City of Reynoldsburg incorporates parts of three counties: Franklin in the center and west, Licking to the east, and Fairfield to the south. Blacklick Creek flows south through the city, joined by French Run just behind the police station. The city is a community of dwellings, retail trade, and commercial services.
Twelve miles east of Columbus, the state capital, Reynoldsburg is served by numerous state routes, interstate routes, and the Columbus Outerbelt. Rail service is two miles north or two miles south. Port Columbus International Airport is 20 minutes away. Reynoldsburg lies at the geographical center of Ohio, within 500 miles of 52 percent of the U.S. population and economy. It is ideally situated with respect to state and national markets and to vacation and recreational facilities throughout the state.
Water and utility services are provided through Columbus, and sewer service by Reynoldsburg. Rubbish removal and recycling by a private company have proved satisfactory to more than 99 percent of local users. Reynoldsburg has its own, nationally high-ranking police department. The Truro Township Fire Department provides prompt and effective fire and emergency services.
Reynoldsburg’s stable economy, supported by a dynamic, vibrant people with a concern for their community and a good quality of life, makes the city an excellent place to live.
Reynoldsburg is east of Columbus and is expanding into Licking County providing new subdivisions with its excellent city services. The accessibility to I-70 and the I-270 outer belt, the proximity of Mt. Carmel East Medical Center, and the excellent school system attract people to this city’s subdivisions. The school system won the Best of the Best Award in 1999 due to their innovative programs. With a mayor and seven-member city council, Reynoldsburg has its own police department and contracts for fire service with Truro Township.
- Taylor Woods 22
- Huber 18
- Independence Village 16
- Briarcliff 11
- Quarry Park 8
- Woods At Reynoldsburg 8
- Reynoldsburg Park 7
- Taylor Ridge 7
- Red Fox Hollow 6
- Brookside 6
- Brookside Park 6
- Turnberry Farms 6
- Stony Ridge 6
- Park Place West 5
- Slate Ridge 5
- Farmington 4
- Meadows 4
- Indian Creek 4
- Village At Slate Ridge 3
- The Park At Waggoner 3